- May 20, 2017
8:00 am - 7:30 pm
The Cub Scout Thunderbird District will be holding a district pinewood derby grand championship on Saturday, May 20th, 2017. This year’s race will be featuring a brand new 8 lane 50 foot pinewood derby track. We are also privileged to have Tom Stevens as the event announcer for the derby race. We will have lots of fun, snacks (bring a snack to share), and activities at the event. Come have a good time as a family.
Event Sign-up (Different Heats By Rank)
We invite each pack to have three racers from each of their rank/age groups. Please have an adult volunteer from each pack be responsible for registering each racer. The event is free. All we ask is bring a snack to share. We will be holding 4 different heats:
- Tiger Cub Scout Race (First Grade) 8:00am – 10:30am
- Wolf Cub Scout Race (Second Grade) 10:30am – 1pm
- Bear Cub Scout Race (Third Grade) 1pm – 3:30pm
- Webelos Cub Scout Race (Fourth & Fifth Grade) 3:30pm – 6pm
- Grand Championship Race 6pm – 7:30pm
Please sign up for your specific rank/age group below.
For each of the heats you will be required to be on time. If you are late you will not be allowed to race. Each cub scout will race 8 times and the scout with the best time will go on to the grand championship race to race for overall district winner.
Each heat will proceed as follows:
- Car Check-in 30 minutes
- Racer Announced 12 minutes
- Race Rules & Orientation 5 minutes
- Racing 1 hour 15 minutes
- Awards 10 minutes
- Championship Round 10 minutes
- Award Ceremony 5 minutes
Price of Admission – Bring a Snack to Share
The event is free to attend. Come watch the fastest racers from each of the packs.
If you have signed up to participate, please bring a snack to share. We will have a snack table at the event with all the goodies everyone has brought.
- Maximum Width – 2-3/4″
- Maximum Length – 7″
- Maximum Height – 6”
- Maximum Weight – Not over 5 Ounces
- Minimum width between wheels – 1-3/4
- Minimum bottom clearance underneath the body (so it does not rub on the track guide) – 3/8″
- Wheel bearings, washers, and bushings are prohibited.
- The car shall not ride on springs.
- Only official BSA Pinewood Derby wheels and axles are permitted.
- Only dry lubricant is permitted.
- Details, such as steering wheel and driver are permissible as long as these details do not exceed the maximum length, width, height and weight specifications.
- The car must be free-wheeling, with no starting devices or motors.
- Each car must be checked in and pass inspection by the official inspection committee before it may compete. If, at registration, a car does not pass inspection, the owner will be informed of the reason for failure, and will be given time within the official weigh-in time period to make the adjustment. Once checked in no additional modification or lubrication can be added.
- The car must have been made during the current year (the year in which the derby is held).
Rule specific questions can be addressed to Tom Stevens, email@example.com
For each heat we would like to have one adult volunteer from each pack. Please sign-up above for the specific heat you will help with. It is fine signing-up for the same heat your son is racing. On the day of the race please come 45 minutes prior to the start of the heat you will be assisting with.
If you have any questions about volunteering please contact: Steven Tedjamulia, firstname.lastname@example.org