- May 20, 2017
5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
The Cub Scout Thunderbird District will be holding a council pinewood derby grand championship on Saturday, May 20th, 2017. This year’s race will be featuring a brand new 8 lane 50 foot pinewood derby track. We are also privileged to have Tom Stevens as the event announcer for the derby race. We will have lots of fun, snacks (bring a snack to share), and activities at the event. Come have a good time as a family.
Event Sign-up (Different Heats By Rank)
We invite each pack to have three racers from each of their rank/age groups. Please have an adult volunteer from each pack be responsible for registering each racer. The event is free. All we ask is bring a snack to share.
We will be holding 4 different heats: Tiger Cub Scout Race (First Grade) 8:00am – 10:30am Wolf Cub Scout Race (Second Grade) 10:30am – 1pm Bear Cub Scout Race (Third Grade) 1pm – 3:30pm Webelos Cub Scout Race (Fourth & Fifth Grade) 3:30pm – 6pm Please sign up for your specific rank/age group below.
Because of the limited number of those who signed up for each race and the request for a later time we have decided to consolidated all the races into one race. We will still award winners for each age group, but we will also have a grand championship. The new time will be:
- Tiger, Wolf, Bear, & Webelos 5-8pm Saturday May 2oth.
We will be serving dinner for those attending. Pizza will be ordered. We apologize for this change, but hopefully this new time change will attract accommodate more racers.
Check In Details
Event check in will happen on Thursday May 18th 2017 from 6:30-9pm.
Please bring your car and be ready to drop it off. We will make sure to measure and weigh your car to ensure it meets race rules. We will also need the racers information and car name.
In case you need to make any modifications to your car, please bring some tools.
The check-in will take place at:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
5201 Convict Hill, Austin TX 78749
For each of the heats you will be required to be on time. If you are late you will not be allowed to race. Each cub scout will race 8 times and the scout with the best time will go on to the grand championship race to race for overall district winner.
Each heat will proceed as follows:
- Car Check-in 30 minutes
- Racer Announced 12 minutes
- Race Rules & Orientation 5 minutes
- Racing 1 hour 15 minutes
- Awards 10 minutes
- Championship Round 10 minutes
- Award Ceremony 5 minutes
Price of Admission – Bring a Snack to Share
The event is free to attend. Come watch the fastest racers from each of the packs.
If you have signed up to participate, please bring a snack to share. We will have a snack table at the event with all the goodies everyone has brought.
- Maximum Width – 2-3/4″
- Maximum Length – 7″
- Maximum Height – 6”
- Maximum Weight – Not over 5 Ounces
- Minimum width between wheels – 1-3/4
- Minimum bottom clearance underneath the body (so it does not rub on the track guide) – 3/8″
- Wheel bearings, washers, and bushings are prohibited.
- The car shall not ride on springs.
- Only official BSA Pinewood Derby wheels and axles are permitted.
- Only dry lubricant is permitted.
- Details, such as steering wheel and driver are permissible as long as these details do not exceed the maximum length, width, height and weight specifications.
- The car must be free-wheeling, with no starting devices or motors.
- Each car must be checked in and pass inspection by the official inspection committee before it may compete. If, at registration, a car does not pass inspection, the owner will be informed of the reason for failure, and will be given time within the official weigh-in time period to make the adjustment. Once checked in no additional modification or lubrication can be added.
- The car must have been made during the current year (the year in which the derby is held).
Rule specific questions can be addressed to Tom Stevens, email@example.com
Winners Will Go On To The Pinewood Derby World Championships
The 2017 World Championship Pinewood Derby will be held on Saturday, June 24, 2017. The races will take place in Times Square – on Broadway Plaza between West 46th and West 47th Streets.
The Thunderbird District Pinewood derby event is a feeder race to the World Championships. We will have spots reserved for the top three racers for each age group. If one of the top three racers cannot go, then we will make those slots available to other racers who can attend and represent the district. We will give the racers two days to decide if they can attend.
Here is a link to the the World Championship Website for more details https://www.bsa-gnyc.org/championshippinewood
For each heat we would like to have one adult volunteer from each pack. Please sign-up above for the specific heat you will help with. It is fine signing-up for the same heat your son is racing. On the day of the race please come 45 minutes prior to the start of the heat you will be assisting with.
If you have any questions about volunteering please contact: Steven Tedjamulia, firstname.lastname@example.org